It’s reached that time again. The time when we set ourselves our resolutions for the year that lies ahead. I thought rather than do a traditional ‘New Years Resolutions’ post i would do something that involves you a bit more. So here are 10 quotes which i will definitely be trying to live by this year on my quest to become a healthier, happier, more productive version of myself. I’ve put my own personal spin on some of them to help you get to know me a bit more. Hopefully they help some of you guys too 🙂
1. If it makes you happy, do it. If it doesn’t, don’t. Its that simple. I’m joking – if only it was haha! But seriously, it really is something that i think we all could benefit from keeping in mind. At the end of the day, happiness is the most important thing in life and if your not, you need to try to eliminate the things which are making a negative impact.
2. Its never too late to be what you might of been. I’m sure a lot of us can relate to the feeling of ‘this is it’, this is the way our life has panned out so this is what we must settle for. Wrong. You have the power to change the direction of your life at any given moment. Whether that be a lifestyle change, or taking up a new college course, or quitting your job to start a fresh, anything. For me my biggest aim this year is to get back into performing arts, my passion in life. After a rocky year of injury and health set backs i lost my way with it all. But its who i am, and i’m determined to throw myself back into it, no matter how hard it may be, i will get my confidence back, and i will be on stage again. Watch this space 😉
3. Be happy with what you’ve got, while working for what you want. Its so easy to get caught up in what your longing for, may that be a job promotion, or to lose that last 10 pounds, we all have goals which can consume our minds. I’m so guilty of having the constant thought in my head of ‘i will be so much happier when…’ but you have to remember that all we really have is the present moment in time, and we must enjoy it. Of course its completely ok to have goals and ambitions, but don’t forget to ‘just be’ and enjoy the moment, or the most special moments of our lives will pass us by.
4. Nothing will make you feel better apart from doing the work. This can relate to so many different situations, but basically what I’m saying is if you want something you have to work for it. The only person who can make the change is you. So whether that be you want to pass your driving test, get fit, ace your next assignment, the only way thats gunna happen is if you get up and put the work in. Its tough love, but it’s the way it is. For me this year i really want to throw myself into my career and make my youtube & blog content the best it possibly can be, with consistent uploads. That and getting back into performing. Not forgetting taking over the world haha 😉 Success is not luck, its hard work.
5. Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive about what could go right. I’m the first to admit how guilty i am of this. A change of mindset is definitely something that i could benefit a hell of a lot from. Its so easy to slip into the habit of constantly thinking of the negatives, but where does it get you really? Positive thinking is free, and it basically makes absolutely everything instantly easier, better and more fun! Who doesn’t want that?
6. Don’t compare your chapter 1, to someone else chapter 20. One of my favourites. Comparison is the thief of joy. So why do we do it? Its hard now with our minds being constantly bombarded by social media with what everyone else is doing, but sometimes you have to take a step back and say to yourself actually no, I’m doing pretty great myself and thats what most important. Everyone is on there own personal journey, we all learn, grow and begin at different times. As long as your moving forward, thats all that matters.
7. Worrying doesn’t stop the bad stuff from happening, it just stops you from enjoying the good. For someone who has anxiety, this quote speaks volumes with me. But everyone has worry and too much worry is not good for anyone. Each time your mind goes into over thinking mode, quickly ask yourself ‘wait, what is this going to achieve? Other than stop me from enjoying the moment I’m in right now.’
8. You can’t rush something you want to last forever. If you want to make a change, you can’t expect it to happen over night, it might take a month, a year or even more, but something that really helps me is to remember that the time will pass anyway. You might as well spend that time wisely and work towards your goals. After all, nothing worth having comes easy!
9. Stop looking for happiness in the same place you lost it. I can relate to this for personal reasons which is a whole other story. But its true that we must remind our selves we must eliminate the toxic things (or people!) from our life in order to feel happiness, and we must resist temptation to go back to those things no matter how strong the urge may be. Oh and for the record, you don’t ever have to feel guilty for removing toxic people out of your life.
10. Everything is going to be ok, if its not ok, its not the end. No matter how bad things may seem, how down you may be, it will pass. So if your going through a tough time remember that nothing is permanent, and things are gunna work out! 🙂